Hail, lo, and behold! We have a preliminary schedule for The Hobbit Read-Along! In addition to myself, we have nine participants to split among nineteen chapters. As the host, I have taken the responsibility of the first chapter for myself—unless someone else greatly desires it for themselves, in which case I will happily exchange it for another—and given everyone else two. Postings will be on Tuesdays and Thursdays.
If anyone wants to write on a chapter other than what has been assigned, speak up now so that the schedule can be adjusted before postings begin! As you can see, the first post will appear on Tuesday, September 25th. I thought it fitting to start just after September 22, which is the birthday of Bilbo and Frodo Baggins. The final post will come at the end of November, thus giving us a little bit of time before the release of the first movie on December 14.
You are welcome to approach your posts in whatever manner you want, but in order to relieve you of a little stress, I’ve come up with a few helpful guidelines:
- Keep your focus on the chapter at hand, out of respect for the other participants. Obviously, you can refer to events in other chapters as needed to shed light on your chapter, but try not steal someone else’s thunder!
- Don’t worry about “reviewing” the chapter; tell us just the thing(s) that really stood out to you. A character’s development, how Tolkien uses the landscape, the presence of humor, whatever. Don’t feel an obligation to talk about something that doesn’t immediately interest you. Follow your gut.
- Posts should be as long or as short as you need to say what you want to say.
- Comment on as many of the posts as you can! The purpose of this Read-Along is to foster discussion and a shared joy in Tolkien’s story. The easiest way to keep up on all the posts in this series is to subscribe to each of the participants. (It’s good to promote each others’ blogs!)
- Have fun! (Such a cliché to end a list this way, but hey, it’s true.)
Once posting begins, I will create a special Page (like the others above my header) where I will link to every official post in The Hobbit Read-Along. You are all welcome to do the same. We want to make it easy for anyone who reads one post to find the others in this series, with as little hassle and as few clicks as possible. In fact, to facilitate this, I may even reblog every one of the official posts, so that even my own updates will link directly to all of yours.
If you read this and are not an official participant, don’t worry: you are still encouraged to read and comment! You are even very welcome to post about The Hobbit on your own and solicit our attention for it; I’d be happy to link to you, if you do, but I just won’t be assigning you a specific chapter in the schedule.
Please leave any other ideas or comments you guys have in the comments section below. Schedule and guidelines can still be modified if we want to. We have over a month before this thing starts!
The official list of participants, excluding me, is thus:
Taliesintaleweaver of Lights in the Library
Brenton of A Pilgrim in Narnia and Princess Madison Jayne
Mary of Grimmella
Emily of WanderLust
Krysta of Pages Unbound
Rob of The Old Book Junkie
novareylin of MySeryniti
Melpomene of The Egotist’s Club
Chapter 1 – An Unexpected Party → 9/25 Tuesday
Chapter 2 – Roast Mutton→ 9/27 Thursday
Chapter 3 – A Short Rest → 10/02 Tuesday
Chapter 4 – Over Hill and Under Hill →10/04 Thursday
Chapter 5 – Riddles in the Dark →10/09 Tuesday
Chapter 6 – Out of the Frying-Pan into the Fire →10/11 Thursday
Chapter 7 – Queer Lodgings →10/16 Tuesday
Chapter 8 – Flies and Spiders →10/18 Thursday
Chapter 9 – Barrels Out of Bond →10/23 Tuesday
Chapter 10 – A Warm Welcome →10/25 Thursday
Chapter 11 – On the Doorstep →10/29 Tuesday
Chapter 12 – Inside Information →11/1 Thursday
Chapter 13 – Not at Home →11/6 Tuesday
Chapter 14 – Fire and Water →11/8 Thursday
Chapter 15 – The Gathering of the Clouds →11/13 Tuesday
Chapter 16 – A Thief in the Night →11/15 Thursday
Chapter 17 – The Clouds Burst →11/20 Tuesday
Chapter 18 – The Return Journey →11/22 Thursday
Chapter 19 – The Last Stage →11/27 Tuesday