The beauty of Mirkwood.
My first contribution to The Hobbit Read-a-long!
Ah, Mirkwood. Stop for a moment to bask in the deep shadows and fill your lungs with that heavy, still air.
Mmmm. It has been too long. There are some places I reach through books to which I return again and again out of sheer love and awe. Mirkwood is one of my favorites. I wonder how many of you who read this, if any, feel the same.
Even in this book, brimming with some of the best fairy-tale elements, this chapter stands out. We have:
- Dark enchanted forest
- Instructions not to stray from the path
- Water that puts one into an enchanted sleep
- Enchanted dreams
- Fey lights in the darkness, luring travelers off the safe path
- Elven hunt and white deer
- Eerie voices and laughter echoing in the woods
- Vanishing faerie banquets
- Giant spiders
The makings of a fantastic folktale! And…
View original post 541 more words